A home’s roof is its first line of defense against the elements and it is important to keep it in good repair. Unfortunately, there are many things that can damage a roof and most homeowners are unaware of them. Learn about unexpected things that can damage your roof so you can keep a watchful eye out for them. Here are 5 surprising things that can damage your roof:
Surprising Sources of Damage to Roofs
- Ice Dams: Ice dams form when snow on the roof melts and then refreezes at the edge of the roof. This can cause water to back up under the shingles and lead to leaks.
- Debris: Leaves, sticks, and other debris can accumulate on your roof and clog your gutters. This can lead to water damage as well as promote the growth of mold and mildew.
- Poor Ventilation: Poor ventilation in your attic can cause the temperature in your attic to rise, which will prematurely age your shingles and shorten their lifespan. It can also lead to ice dams forming in winter.
- Excessive Heat: Excessive heat from the sun can damage your shingles and make them more susceptible to wind damage. This is why it’s important to have a cool roof coating applied to your roof; it will reflect the sun’s rays and keep your shingles cooler.
- Hail storms: Hail storms can cause serious damage to your roof, especially if the hailstones are large enough. Even small hail stones can cause indentations in your shingles that will allow water to seep in and cause leaks. If you live in an area where hail storms are common, it’s important to have your roof inspected after each storm to check for any damage.
If you’re concerned about any of these potential threats to your roof, call Shingle Magic Atlanta at (404) 905-3366. We’re Atlanta’s first choice for roof coatings and we’re 5-star rated and fully insured. We can help you protect your roof and extend its lifespan.